Assistant Solicitor, Associates, Legal, Litigation Support, Other, Partners, Practice Manager
£45,800 Per Annum
pro-rata 3 days per week, contract to 31st March 2020 + ext.
We specialise in the recruitment of high quality candidates in the legal sector. We have an excellent opportunity for a Solicitor to support the Legal Services Manager in maximising the extent to which communities are protected by providing a professional, independent, accessible, timely and cost effective legal service to the Chief Constables, Chief Officers and the members of the wider workforce.
Tenure: Contract until 31 March 2019 + possible extension - (Part Time 3 days per week)
Solicitor’s Core Duties
- To support and represent the Forces at legal hearings to include civil matters in the Magistrates’ Courts, County Courts, Higher Courts, Inquests, Employment Tribunals and internal disciplinary hearings.
- To provide timely legal advice across a wide range of practice areas including operational matters. To train officers and staff on legal policies and procedures
- To work as part of the wider legal services team ensuring the provision of a seamless legal service to the Forces.
- To ensure the Departments’ work is undertaken in a cost effective manner and support the Legal Services Manager in minimising legal services costs and expenditure.
- To instruct Counsel (where necessary).
- To ensure the organisations are protected from challenge where possible through lesson learning.
- To delegate work to and supervise the Claims Investigators and Legal Assistants within the department.
- To make the best use of technology and adhere to file handling procedures.
- To maintain the necessary standards of professional practice (Continuing Professional Development - CPD)
- To undertake other duties commensurate with the nature, level of responsibility and grading of this post, as required.
Solicitor’s Skills required
- Qualified Solicitor with practising certificate or barrister, with demonstrable post qualification experience;
- Knowledge of criminal law, civil law and litigation, employment law and litigation, judicial review (public law) and Human Rights legislation
- Experience of advising on a wide range of legal matters;
- Demonstrable experience of good advocacy and problem solving;
- Proven experience of managing own case load
- High level of communication and influencing skills, including strong advocacy and presentation skills;
- Ability to work calmly and professionally under pressure and to tight deadlines;
- Ability to use own initiative and work largely unsupervised;
- Competent in the use of IT including Microsoft packages
Are you enthusiastic about the Solicitor’s job? Send us your CV in word format today