General & Other, Other
£31,000 to £38,100 Per Annum
We specialise in the recruitment of high quality candidates in the Life Sciences sector. We have an excellent opportunity for a Senior Research Assistant (SRA) to join the Genomics Pipeline Group of a highly successful organisation based in Norwich.
The SRA will play a key role in automating, troubleshooting and streamlining both current and future pipelines. The successful candidate will also assist production teams with the preparation of next-generation sequencing libraries. The SRA’s work will support the Institute’s strategic science programme, the National Capability in Genomics and Single Cell Analysis.
Senior Research Assistant’s Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with other laboratory staff in Genomics Pipelines to plan, execute and deliver scheduled high throughput and novel techniques
- Transition complex and cutting-edge laboratory processes onto the Institute’s installed base of liquid handling robotics platforms, as well as ensuring the smooth day-to-day running of laboratory automation.
- Provide continuous improvements and extensions to current systems
- Troubleshoot automated workflows to promptly return high-throughput pipelines to production and minimise downtime
- Maintain accurate and timely records using LIMS and electronic notebook software
- Draft and update Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for automated workflows
- Contribute to the dissemination of automation protocols via publications and other media opportunities
- Assist with the production of automated next-generation sequencing libraries
- Deliver training to other RAs using automated protocols for deployment into production
Senior Research Assistant’s Education, Experience and Skills:
- Masters degree, or preferably, PhD in Molecular Biology or equivalent relevant subject
- Fully experienced in the performance of standard molecular biology laboratory techniques
- Fully experienced in utilising liquid handling processes such as Beckmam Coulter, Perkin Elmer and Hamilton systems, including the development and optimisation of protocols
- Experienced in writing scripts and developing protocols for liquid handling platforms
- Experienced in writing automated scripts utilising commonly deployed lab automation software, such as Hamilton Venus software and Beckman Coulter Biomek
- Familiarity with molecular cloning and modern DNA sequencing technologies
- Experienced in the use of Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS)
- Experienced and confident use of Microsoft office
- Ability to travel and work a non-conventional pattern at times