MJL EO 223097
Caretakers, Carpenter, Education, Electrician, Estates Manager, Facilities Managers, General & Other, Labourer, Other, Other, Painter, Plumber / Mechanical fitter, Premises Officers /Managers, Supervisor, Trades & Labour
£23,000 Per Annum
Harrow on the Hill
We specialise in the recruitment of high quality candidates in the Education sector. We have an excellent opportunity for a School Caretaker / Estates Officer to deliver both planned and reactive maintenance, room set ups, H&S requests, planned maintenance, general repairs and property upkeep.
Estates Officer’s Core Duties
- Set up class rooms and communal meeting spaces for educational and other uses as directed by the School’s timetable.
- Carry out regular inspections on the School minibus fleet ensuring that the vehicles are road worthy, clean and tidy.
- Carry out Planned Preventive Maintenance and routine daily, weekly and other periodic checks as required by service and operational requirements and manuals, including periodic readings of the various utility meters located across the school campus.
- Check H&S and general maintenance work requests on a daily basis on the School’s maintenance request software, School Asset Manager.
- Work closely with the Estates Supervisor to ensure compliance with relevant health and safety legislation on estates matters including COSHH and risk assessments.
- Promote safe working practices and ensure appropriate PPE is worn escalating any risk to the Estates Supervisor.
- Ensure school grounds and buildings are kept secure by closing all entrances and windows at the end of the Late Shift each day.
- Replace or repair faulty or worn parts of school property across the main School campus. Order new parts when necessary.
- Carry out basic decoration and painting tasks in classrooms, halls and corridors throughout the School buildings when required.
- Drive School minibus between main campus and School playing fields and on other outings, delivery/pick up tasks as required.
- Pathways and steps clear of ice by the application of salt and grit.
- Carry out daily litter picks across the School site and empty waste bins on a regular basis.
- Maintain hot and cold water systems across both School sites carrying out minor repair and installation work as required.
- Ensure that all School lighting is kept in good working order and replace fittings where necessary.
- Regularly check, at agreed intervals, the condition and operation of general lighting, emergency lighting, self-closing fire doors, window fasteners, extractors and yard gullies and remedy, or report faults to Estates Supervisor.
- When traversing the School site remain vigilant for both H&S hazards and general maintenance necessities.
Estates Officer’s Skills required
- Have knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions involved with the maintenance, repair, and operation of buildings, grounds, and operating systems.
- Basic qualification/certification or experience in - plumbing, electrical, gas, PAT testing, carpentry, first aid.
- Full, clean UK driving licence
- IT literate
- Plumbing experience and know how (e.g. Fix leaking taps, radiators, etc.)
- Joinery experience (e.g. replace broken window panes, board up broken windows, fit shelves, etc.)
- Painting and decorating experience incl. basic plastering
- Plastering to small areas
- Basic Electrical experience (e.g. make safe broken light switch/sockets/plugs, replace failed light bulbs, etc.)
- Previous experience of working in a school environment
- Ability to tackle heavy work, lifting and carrying out general labouring tasks
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions
Are you enthusiastic about the Estates Officer’s job? Send us your CV in word format today